[NTLK] Santa Monica 3rd St Promenade Apple Store

From: Mike O'Brien (obrien_at_leonardo.net)
Date: Fri Jul 11 2003 - 22:22:30 PDT

        I attended the opening of the Apple Store on the Santa Monica
3rd St. Promenade this evening. It's a "normal" sized store. I got there
at 4:00 PM for a 6:00 PM opening time, and was about 100 to 150 people
back - not very many people at all, really, certainly not compared to
what happened at the opening of The Grove. I didn't see any other LANUG
members there, but I proudly waved my Newton as I ran the gauntlet
of the applauding Apple Store employees...yes, all the store employees
formed a gauntlet on either side of the first people streaming in. About
one in three recognized the Newton in passing and their faces lit up.

        I didn't win an iSight, I collected a T-shirt, I wandered
around, I left. When I left, the line to get in snaked to the end of
the block, down the block to 2nd St., and partway down that block, so
it was an adequate show of force. Perhaps the giant KROQ tent and
speakers outside had something to do with (finally) attracting a crowd,
though to be fair, most of the people in line seemed to be Apple fans
rather than gawpers. Still, I was surprised at how few people showed
up early. The true fans were the ones who camped out in front of the
store the night before, and put up a blog using the store's wireless
access points documenting their stay.

Mike O'Brien

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html