Re: [NTLK] Delurking and ser-001

From: Tony Kan (tony.kan_at_clear.net.nz)
Date: Mon Jul 14 2003 - 19:26:50 PDT

Hiya Scott

Nice to find another kiwi on the list. I've got rellies in Northland,
Wellington just down the road from Jock Hobbs etc. Hope you don't mind the
blatant name dropping [unrepentant smirk].

My Newt is still going strong though I'm looking for another 32 Mb linear
memory card. I tried Paul's driver but MoreInfo doesn't seem to like
running from an ATA card.

Everything else seems to like it but MoreInfo and I are joined at the hip
now. So I've stopped using ATA cards.

If you had've let me know you were going to buy a couple of SER-001's I
might have been tempted to buy a SER-001 myself in the same batch and saved
postage! No worries though because I seem to lose them or break them at a
rate of one every 18 months so far [One lost out of a supermarket trolley,
another because an empty coffee cup fell and smashed the touchscreen] so the
serial dongle might never get enough use before the attrition rate kicks in
:(!

I thought about fixing the touchscreen but decided buying a replacement from
J&K was more cost effective.

Question for the greater list: if the touchscreen is broken and the stylus
doesn't work anymore, how does one get the information off the broken
machine into either another newt or desktop?

Cheers
Tony.

PO Box 33-200
106 Panorama Rd