Re: [NTLK] [OT] Royalties

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Wed Jul 16 2003 - 22:44:55 PDT

> In Germany there are two types of CD-R's. Those for which you pay
> royalties and those for which you don't.

   They have these in the US too. Except that I think the "Music"
CDs-Rs have some flag bit set, and the commercial CD burners will
*only* work with them - at least, if you don't take a soldering iron to
them..

   The people on Slashdot (an interesting place, to say the least) are
always fond of saying that no-one really knows whether any of this
"pirate money" actually gets back to the artists. Probably not, it
would be almost impossible to divy up, unless they used a statistical
method like ASCAP does

   Some also raise the interesting question of whether the fact that you
are paying this royalty on 'music' CD-Rs in some way condones audio
piracy.. I would say no, maybe an analogy would be that locks on doors
do not mean we condone burglers (although this is sounds strangely
close the the counter-DMCA argument that we should ban crowbars if we
want to be consistent in our digital and non-digital laws..) But this
is *way* OT..

Jim

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html