Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V3 #379

From: Damien Batstone (djb_at_er.dtu.dk)
Date: Thu Jul 17 2003 - 01:21:57 PDT

>Peter Coffin wrote:
> >On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 02:31:40AM +0200, Frank Gruendel wrote:
> >> Personally I find even the starting bid a bit steep and the buy it now
> >>sum a bad joke. You should be aware that there are people out there
> >>who will refurbish any dead battery pack they are sent with 1850 mAh
> >> cells at 35 USD plus shipping (see
> >> http://www.pda-soft.de/mp2k_battery_pack.html
> >> for details).
>
> >Considering that one can use a buy-it-now on an original battery *and*
> >pay for pda-soft to recell it for less that this fellow's starting bid,
> >is it any surprise that he's at 25 minutes to close and has yet to have
> >a single bid?

If you don't have a cage or a tray, it's also quite straightforward (if
you're OK with a soldering iron) to modify a standard RS consumer battery
cage to fit in the Newton, and recharge in the Newton. You wouldn't want
to take it out very often, (it breaks up after about 20 insertions), but
with a run time of 20-30 hours (2000 mAh Phillips nimh), and about 1000
recharges, you don't need to. With that kind of lifetime, I think it's
worth soldering all the contacts (including the thermister contacts),
except maybe the negative spring . I've had mine in for about 4 months
now, and the only problem is that sometimes the thermister earth doesn't
contact properly, and I have to push the cage in a bit. Not as pretty as
the "real" cage, but the only effective cost is the nimh cells (I paid 3
euros each).

Regards,

Damien

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html