Re: [NTLK] Motorola Marco Exposed

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 10:41:53 PDT

The Motorola Marco was actually my First Newton...
The wireless service that it used was actually very
smooth and coverage was quite good. Signal relied on
multi-pathing. This allowed data to be received from
more than one tower.
I used this device for about a year before I got my
120. The things I loved about the Marco was that it
used the same battery as the Envoy. This allowed me to
swap batteries between the two machines. And as I said
above, the wireless service (I can't remember if it
was Ardis <now owned by American Satelite> or RIM <now
owned by BellSouth>...) What I didn't like was the OS
was really crappy with handwriting recognition. And
the size was quite bulky. I also didn't like the
placement of the PC card slot. I had a Socket pager
card that sticks out of the slot and with this card
(or even the Motorola pager card which also sticks out
a little bit) inserted into the Marco, you couldn't
close the screen. This made an already bulky device
even bulkier! When I upgraded to my 120, then upgraded
the 120 to OS2, I used an AllPoints card to get my
radiomail service. The only downside here was that to
use my Socket card, I had to remove the AllPoints card
and pop in the Socket card. It wasn't until I had my
2000 that I was able to use both cards at the same
time. Unfortunatly, Heap was a serious
limitation...When I upgraded to a 2100...with tons
more heap, there was no longer a radiomail service and
Socket was no longer taking any new customers. This
soon expired and now my 2100 (which I still use daily)
gets connectivity through an ethernet card...
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- Chris Myers <newtman_at_plumbrook.com> wrote:
> Finally put the finishing touches on the first draft
> of my detailed
> analysis of the Motorola Marco. I have included
> pictures of just about
> every part of the Marco along with packaging and
> accessories. I have
> also shown you how large the Marco is in comparison
> to the Newton 2100.
>
> For those of you who have not seen one before, take
> a look.
>
> http://newton.plumbrook.com/marco/
>
> It should be Newt Friendly, but does includes lots
> of large pictures.
>
> Chris

=====
"Liberals don't care about the environment. The core of environmentalism is a hatred for mankind. They want mass infanticide, zero population growth, reduced standards of living and vegetarianism. Most crucially, they want Americans to stop with their infernal deodorant use. "
 - Anne Coulter Op Ed piece on Global Warming