[NTLK] [ANN] ATA Support Weekly builds

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 11:58:42 PDT

Hello all,

I've setup (horribly) some ATA Support weekly builds. To make a long
story short, the Classic/OS X boundary is crossed many times during
something like an hour of processing.

And it seems to work.

So I'll setup a cron to run this every week during the night on my PowerBook.

Unlike DCL nightlies, code is not pulled from CVS because CVS on
command line is not totally compatible with MacCvsX (read: it doesn't
do mac end of lines and mac resource forks that are required for ATA
Support), so what you have is a release build from my working
directory. Normally release builds do not include debugging code.
Normally.

I want to warn you with two points.

First, some debugging code can cause an exception when a regular
linear card is inserted. Newton will ask you if you want to format
the card. Don't say yes, remove the card, delete ATA Support nightly
and go on with a more stable release.

Let me rephrase this. If your Newton asks you if you want to format a
card because it's unreadable, triple-check what card it is before
saying yes then check again. You've been warned. I know someone lost
data this way.

Second point: this build is done automatically without any test of
any kind. I don't work on release builds but on debug builds. I might
have left pieces of code here and there that are unfinished, bits
that don't interact nicely together and similar things you normally
don't find in releases. Tests are not ran (because part of the tests
require a Newton, for the other part it would double the number of OS
X/Classic boundaries crosses, and I prefer to spend my time on other
things). The only condition for these binaries to be uploaded is that
they compiled just fine.

In a nutshell, it is for thrill seekers who really seek thrill and
have a perfect backup policy, with hourly backups for a year or two.

The builds are uploaded here:

http://www.kallisys.com/files/newton/ATA/nightlies/droopy/

There is a build from this evening there, and it might feature MP1x0
compatibility (I'm not completely sure because I was working on eMate
issues, so I changed some bits and I didn't check if it still worked
on my MP120D).

I think I'll set it up to run every tuesday night so I'll know
tomorrow morning if it worked properly.

If you're crazy enough to install one of these builds, you're
encouraged to report how well they work on your Newton, if some
problem you reported eons ago is still present or was satisfyingly
fixed. If you're crazy enough.

Paul

--
Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/