Re: [NTLK] Overclocking dangerous in PDAs?

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 22:16:45 PST

FUD pure and simple.
Just an attempt by the manufacturers to bilk the
public out of a couple of hundred dollars by saying
that overclocking your PDA will cause sterility in
laboratory rats, or hair to grow on unwanted places of
your body or cause your mother-in-law to actually take
your side in an argument with your spouse.
Phoooey! I've been overclocking things since I was a
kid (I re-wound the stators on my AFX slot racers to
get more speed out of them. I also rewound the field
coils of an electric lawn mower to get more power out
of it so I could cut tall grass and wouldn't have to
mow as often. I acellerated an 80286 to over 100mhz
(that's as high as the clocking program could measure)
using an army surplus freon chip cooling
system...noisy as hell, but I also used the same
cooling system to boost the wattage output of a
push-pull audio amp from 4 watts to what we figured is
about 80 watts (we blew out some 60 watt speakers) )
Everything can be overclocked (heck, my 72 Cutlass
convertible with a 455ci (that's 7.7L to those SAE
challenged), integrated fuel injectors (hand crafted),
blower and nitrous...last tested at over 660hp is
seriously overclocked! )
And I have yet to blow up anything! At least not on
purpose! Sometimes it's just fun to see something go
critical!
The point is, you do it right, then it will work. I
have never had an unsucessful overclock...the reason?
I don't boost what I don't understand...it's that
simple.
Ed
web/gadget guru
come and see my Newt on the web (well, mostly) at:
http://65.84.243.167

--- Grant Hutchinson <grant_at_splorp.com> wrote:
> Check out this article over at PCworld on perils of
> overclocking PDAs. I
> know it's not exactly Newton-specific, but I thought
> the gearheads on
> this list might appreciate it.

> g.

> Grant Hutchinson
> Interface Considerations & Toys
>
> Weblog > http://www.splorp.com/
> Newton > http://www.newted.org/
> Design > http://www.veer.com/

=====
"A spirit of national masochism prevails, encouraged by the impudent core of effete snobs who characterize themselves as intellectuals"
 - Spiro Agnew, 1970