Re: [NTLK] OK, Ethernet it is

From: Peter Cameron (pdwc_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Wed Mar 05 2003 - 06:27:09 PST

on 3/5/03 2:57 AM, Jon Glass at jonglass_at_usa.net wrote:
> Restores do not wipe out what is already there. They only replace what is
> the same. So, if you only restore packages, only those packages that are
> duplicates will be "wiped out" but since they are duplicates, it's no big
> deal. In any case, I have done this, and I didn't lose any data. None.
    This isn't a restore of just packages. It also involves restoring system
information. This could delete system info that other packages might have
installed rendering them dead.
    To be on the safe side I'd recommend to someone acquiring ethernet
capability by the card method to be prepared to lose everything.
    Another issue in all of this is system patches. NIE2 recommends 717260
but will work without the patch (however, there will be error messages which
can be ignored).
    I'll do some experimenting, but I think a brainwipe followed by a
restore including the ethernet packages is the the best way to go and
ensures no conflicts or memory fragmentation.

Peter

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html