[NTLK] voice modem and card phone questions

From: David Getzin (dgetzin_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Mar 10 2003 - 13:22:41 PST

  hello,

I have some very hopeful questions about the voice-fax-data modems, and
the Nokia card phone that has been mentioned.

  first, my newt gives me the option to place a call using a modem, so
if I get a voice-fax-data modem, will I be able to place land line
calls using this method? I checked the FAQ and found a link citing
this lone modem:USR XJ5560 56K Voice
  Would this modem work for the above mentioned purpose?

I poked around the Web looking at info on the Nokia card phone, and I
still haven't quite figured out what it does. It appears to be a
combination Wi-Fi card/wireless GRPS enabled modem. my silly childish
hope, is that it lives up to its name, and exists as a phone in itself.

  If anyone is making a cell phone on a card, would it be possible to
work it on the Newton?- and thusly have the object of at least my
dreams, a fully functioning PDA phone with intelligent assistance, and
handwriting recognition.

While I am going on about this ridiculous obsession of mine, does
anyone know how all the work is going on that beautiful and wonderful
effort to enable a cellular modem over the IR port?

thank you,

David Getzin

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html