[NTLK] best memory & 802.11b cards?

From: Christoph Wiese (newton_at_autocult.com)
Date: Mon Mar 10 2003 - 19:02:24 PST

Hi everyone,

Quick intro first, I'm a Newton user from way back, who took about
three years off from Newting and have been lurking on the list for
about a month. I have an upgraded 2000.

I want to buy an 802.11b card to get online and a big memory card to
hold all the great new software that has arrived on the scene lately.
I'm looking for advice on what to get. I've read the FAQs and driver
pages that indicate which cards can be made to work, but I'm coming at
it from a slightly different direction: since these cards will only be
used on the Newt, I'm only interested in those with the best
compatibility, design, range, battery life, not slightly too big for
the slots, etc. No point getting something marginal...

Any consensus on what the current Newt-friendly state-of-the-art would
be? Or stuff I should avoid?

Of course I'm happy to buy the necessary WaveLan and ATA drivers, etc.

Oh and similar advice on Ethernet cars would be interesting too :-)

Thanks!

--Christoph
   newton_at_autocult.com

PS: the Newton will be mainly coexisting with a TiBook and Apple 'Snow'
AirPort base station.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html