Re: [NTLK] syncing the newton

From: David Compton (dcompton001_at_gmx.net)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 14:12:38 PST

> > I was just sitting here wishing my Newton would sync as easily as my god
> > !#$! palm and I started thinking about writing a conduit that would talk
> > Newton(ese). But then I thought why not just right a program for the
> > Newton
> > to sync like a palm, i.e. pretend to be a palm. Am not really a
> What do you need to sync to? There's lots of stuff now for MacOS - it's
> Windows sync that is in a sad state of affairs.
>
> Syncing to Outlook would not be hard. Notes2Notes is a great example of
> moving data back and forth from Outlook to the Newton. The Outlook Object
> Model exposes everything, so its not like that data is
> inaccessible. I have
> used Sloup extensively for NewtDump and while it is serial only,
> it's pretty good.
>
> I've been knocking about the idea of writing an Outlook/PC sync
> program for a
> long time now, I just don't have the time and effort to put into it. I
> certainly have the knowledge of the Newton and the Outlook object
> model. All
> that's needed is some quality time in front of the keyboard with
> either VB or
> Perl (Perl's Win32::OLE support kicks ass!).
>
> Maybe after I move to my new apartment and I don't have to spend
> 4 hours a day
> commuting, I'll have time to start this.

Yep, its very sad, and I am sorry I didn't mention that in the orignal post,
but sigh, I do use Windows. There's no way I can switch to Mac either, I
did try using Basilisk II to sync, but the serial just gives me an error.
Sigh.

Could you really right a sync with Perl? Dang, I have been meaning to get
serious with Perl for a while now for work, but keep putting it off. If I
had a personal reason as well I might have to focus on my Perl. :)

dcompton

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html