Re: [NTLK] Installing pkg with webserver

From: Newtvana (newton_at_ordersomewherechaos.com)
Date: Thu Mar 20 2003 - 11:26:58 PST

This is an update for the post I sent in a week ago. It includes
step-by-step instructions for modifying the proper file. This was
written for OS X 10.2, but the steps could easily be applied to other
versions of the OS as well.

Yes you can load packages into the Newton using your own Mac OS X web
server. Just be sure to add the proper MIME type to the "mime.types"
file:

You can find this in:

"/private/etc/httpd/mime.types"

Add the line:

"application/x-newton-compatible-pkg pkg"

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Step-by-step instructions:

Open Terminal

Type "cd /private/etc/httpd/"

Type "sudo pico mime.types" (This means "Pretend I'm the god of this
machine and use the Pico text editor to open the file called
'mime.types'")

Type in your administrator password

Use the the down arrow to get the to proper place in the alphabetical
list of MIME types.

(On mine that's between
        "application/x-netcdf nc cdf" and "application/x-sh sh")

At the start of the line, press return.
Press the up arrow to go up to your new blank line.
Type in: "application/x-newton-compatible-pkg pkg"
(make sure there is a space between "-pkg pkg")

Press Control-O
Press Return
Press Contol-X
Quit the Terminal application