Re: [NTLK] kallisys?

From: Hans Derycke (hans_at_derycke.com)
Date: Thu Mar 20 2003 - 20:50:55 PST

On Thursday, March 20, 2003, at 10:43 AM, Lou Forlini wrote:

> I've pretty much had enough of Europeans and their continual
> crying about how America has no right to defend ourselves. These are
> the same people who refused to stop Hitler. So now I've started the
> thread and ended it all in one message.

I don't think this is the forum for political discussion, but seeing as
how everybody else is putting in their two cents' worth, why not me?

I'm from Belgium, and yet I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment Lou
expresses.

- The US is hardly the first country to invade another. In fact, none
of the permanent members of the UN security council can claim the moral
high ground here. Each one of them has at one time or another invaded
another country without UN approval.

- UN approval isn't all it's cracked up to be, either. If we were
waiting for the security council, Milosevic would still be raping
Muslim women in Kosovo.

- A number of innocent people will die in the war. But how many
innocent people does the Hussein regime kill each month? Of course, you
can't pinpoint those numbers on American bombs, so they're easy to
dismiss.

I, for one, will not forget the sacrifices the US has made to liberate
my country, not once, but twice. They didn't need to. They could have
made peace. And yet they chose to fight to vanquish the evil of the
aggressors. And after that, they spend untold billions defending
Europe, when Europeans were to damn cheap to pay for their own defense.

--
Hans Derycke
E pur si muove