Re: [NTLK] Special treatment for newbies?

From: John Charlton (johncharlton_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 14:28:58 PST

On Monday, Mar 24, 2003, at 16:54 America/Montreal, Victor Rehorst
wrote:

> Say you've just purchased the latest whiz-bang widget and want to
> start using
> it ASAP to organize your frim-fram collection. But when you press the
> actuator doohickey, nothing happens. Along with your whiz-bang you
> got two
> other things: a manual, and a slip of paper with a toll-free phone
> support
> number. Do you read the manual first, or call the number?
>
> My opinion is that most (80%) of people with an average amount of
> technical
> experience will call the number before opening the manual.

Wrong! Most people (80%) will hammer on, trying every button, hitting
it on the side, hitting themselves on the head, arguing that since
they're technically adept they should be able to figure it out, taking
it apart, trying to debug the actuator, the doohickey it's actuating,
admire how the frim-fram is confingled, and THEN call the toll-free
phone support who will tell them to reboot.

jc

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html