Re: [NTLK] Special treatment for newbies

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_comcast.net)
Date: Wed Mar 26 2003 - 05:33:59 PST

on 03/26/03 4:49 AM, Paul Nuernberger at newton_at_thenuernbergers.com wrote:

> Why not make the FAQ we already have a 'searchable' resource ? Maybe have
> links on newton-related websites that employ a version of Grant's 'Search
> Unna' script re-written to search the FAQ with a text entry box for the
> search item(s) ?

As somebody else pointed out, often the newbie doesn't even know the phrases
or keywords to describe their problem. Which argues for the 'mentor' idea.

And there's another point to make. A relatively constant flux of newbie
questions allows the most common answers to stay in the most recent portion
of the archive. (Unless the search algorithm takes no account of age...)
Anyway, just another factor to throw out there.

And yet another idea to put in the mix here... Often on web-based "BBS's",
a member's name is classified (by color and/or the number of times they've
posted) in such a way that one can see immediately whether they're new to
the discussion. If there were a way to tag a new member's message (in
either the address or the subject) to indicate they're a new member (pick a
time duration for defining this), then perhaps readers will take this into
account before banging out a snide remark. And note, I say "new member" not
"newbie", to account for experienced users who've been lost in the
wilderness and have only now found their way to civilization.

- Eric.

Don't let ANYONE else make a fool of you!  If you want something done
right, you've got to do it yourself!!
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html