Re: [NTLK] Who's going to have over 30GB of music?

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Fri May 02 2003 - 18:39:53 PDT

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 03:31:24PM -0400, Eric L. Strobel wrote:
> All I have to say is, GREAT GOOGLY-MOOGLY!!! How many CDs do you folks
> have??? At roughly 12-15 songs per CD, 18,000 songs roughly equals
> 1200-1500 CDs!!!!

I've got ~600 here in two small racks behind me. Storing isn't that
hard.

> How in the world do you a) store that many (add a room?) and b) ever
> listen to even a fraction of that many songs? That's more than 5
> WEEKS if you listen 24/7!!

Same way people listen to the radio: shuffle-play with the occasional
request.

> It boggles the mind!! Oh, and for anyone who's bought 1200-1500 CDs
> at the usual $10-15 a piece (i.e., somewhere in the $12,000 to $22,500
> range), even the extravagant price of a 30 GB iPod is only a minute
> fraction of what you've spent already...

half.com is a fine start, as is buying used, and having friends that are
DJs who are glad to get rid of piles of promo discs that people send
them.

--
81. If I am fighting with the hero atop a moving platform, have disarmed him,
    and am about to finish him off and he glances behind me and drops flat, I