Re: [NTLK] Printing from the Newton

From: Karel Jansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Mon May 05 2003 - 14:19:01 PDT

On Monday 05 May 2003 23:03, Peter Cameron wrote:

> Apple StyleWriter - direct serial

Just curious: what kind of output do you get from the StyleWriter? Is it
the same blocky, low-res stuff that comes from the Print Pack supported
printers or does the Newton use the printer's fonts?

I get very good printing results printing over ethernet, through
GhostScript on my Linux box, to a plain LaserJet 4, but sometimes I need
good quality output on the road. I tried Print Pack (well, emulated it
through a Linux shell script actually, I don't have the connector) but the
result is simply too coarse and primitive to be usable.

This is my one and only gripe against the Newton: with my old Psion Series
3a I could print out professional documents everywhere where I had access
to a power outlet (I never bought the batteries for my Canon bj10ex). I
cannot do this with my Newt.

--
Karel Jansens.
Don't send me HTML-based e-mails, my mail program is set up to ignore them.