Re: [NTLK] Jaggies on MP2000?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue May 06 2003 - 13:19:56 PDT

On 06/05/03 16:02, "Stephen Jendraszak" <stevehj_at_mac.com> wrote:

> Hey all. I know I haven't posted for a fair while, but school's been
> pretty hectic, so I hope you'll forgive me. :)
>
> In the meantime, I have a question.
>
> We hear quite a lot on this list about the "jaggies" problem that
> strikes 2100s. My dad has bought two 2100s, both of which have become
> infested. My 2000, on the other hand, has been trouble-free for years.
> I am wondering if this is indicative of a general trend? Are 2000s
> naturally less inclined to get the jaggies -- or even immune?
>
> And, if 2000s ARe generally more safe investments, does the same hold
> true for 2000s that have been upgraded with 2100 motherboards? In other
> words, does whatever causes the jaggie problem reside on the
> motherboard, or elsewhere in the unit?
>
> I'm wondering, basically, if he should replace his failing 2100s with a
> 2000u unit (instead of another 2100), and whether it is safe to upgrade
> my 2000 with a 2100 motherboard. I appreciate the help-
>
> sj
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/jendra/stevehj

Based on what I did observe, it seems like the 2000 units, upgraded or not,
don't seem to develop the jaggies problem as often as 2100. I recently broke
the screen on my upgraded 2000, that I had been using for over a year
without a single odd behavior relating to the jaggies. It always been
perfect. So, I had to switch to my spare, which was my original 2100, in the
same state than it was after I had it serviced. About 2 or 3 weeks ago, I
started experiencing the jaggies. When it gets worst, I borrowed an idea
from someone here, don't remember if it was our friend Ed Kummel, but I flex
the case 2 or 3 times and that brings it back to normal operation, but it's
really getting annoying. I'm thinking to switch to my upgraded 2000 that
didn't have this problem and keep the 2100 as a spare, just in case.

BTW, based on the symptoms and the remedies I'm taking (flexing the case),
could some jaggies experts comment about what could be possibly wrong? I've
read 2 different theories so far, one about dirty connectors from the
touchscreen to the mobo, the other one, I think was from Marco Mailand, was
excessive pressure from the case onto the touchscreen or something like
that. So, based on the flexing, what you guys think could be wrong?

Thanks!

-Laurent.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html