Re: [NTLK] Creation of an off topic list?

From: John M Powell (jp_at_iwillbefree.com)
Date: Fri May 09 2003 - 10:01:57 PDT

> I don't want to be inflammatory, but if the posts don't interest you,
then
> don't read them. I constantly hear cries for separate OT lists, or for
OT

I don't. But as with spam, junk mail, etc, it takes time from my day to
delete this stuff.

> And since folks on this list have been doing a relatively good job of
> actually marking such messages with [OT], one can just filter those
> messages to a separate folder and do what she/he wants with them.

I've done this. There are still quite a few that never get labeled [OT].
One minute we're talking about repairing an emate and the next, we're in
5 different rabbit trails, but no one remembered to change the Subject
line.

List dad himself said;
> For severely off-topic threads, such as p***ine, gun control,
politics,
> etc. I would suggest taking it off-list, either in private e-mails or
in
> the form of a QuickTopic.

I left this list once before due to insane [OT] volume. I don't have the
time to deal with all the clutter, and I'm sure there are others here
far busier than I ever will be. There are times when I want so badly to
voice my opinion on things, be it political, the recent gun discussion,
the war, etc. But in my experience, discussing these types of things in
this type of forum isn't discussing, it's argumentative. No one changes
their mind. And all that's beside the point. If I wanted to discuss
abortion, Christianity, or politics, I'd be on lists that were for that
purpose. It doesn't matter how passionate I may be about the subjects.
Discussing those things here is inappropriate, ineffective,
inconsiderate, etc. You get the point. I hope you get the point.

John M Powell
www.iwillbefree.com

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html