Re: [NTLK] Flashing backlight on 2100

From: Sean McGroty (cleophus_at_pemberley.dyndns.org)
Date: Sat May 10 2003 - 23:08:05 PDT

On Sunday, May 11, 2003, at 12:14 AM, Ed Kummel wrote:

> I suspect that the Newt is still wet inside. The
> quickest way to dry it out is through the use of a
> desicant (moisture absorber)

> Most important when reassembling the Newt. Make sure
> that the ROM card is properly seated and that the
> contacts are clean. Use a pencil eraser to clean the
> contacts.

It's a little late for the desiccant. I disassembled the Newton before
I left for work today, and when I got home it was completely dry. I
swabbed over the circuit board and the pins on all the chips with an
alcohol wipe, including the ROM card.

As a whole, it's dead. While I was at work, someone knocked the screen
assembly off of the table, tearing the touch-screen cable. Obviously,
the ROM card, motherboard, or both are damaged to some extent. Right
now I'm looking for parts I can salvage.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html