Re: [NTLK] [OT] to X-Jack or not to X-Jack (cable help)

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Sun May 11 2003 - 07:56:22 PDT

On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 10:56:58PM -0500, klich wrote:
> Martin Joseph:
> > Have you broken the xjack? If not why bother with this?
> ah, no, but what i have broken is the tabs of at least a dozen standard
> phone cords. i would prefer to plug the dongle-thingie in and out of the
> modem all the time instead of the phone cable, as standard phone cords are
> not exactly breakproof, and i've never personally any "heavy-duty" phone
> cables.

One thing to consider is that phone cables are very inexpensive and even
less expensive with a reel of satin cord, a package of connectors, and a
crimper. dongle-cables are invariably expensive to replace, and often
very difficult to find even before the issue of paying for them comes
up.

--
86. I will make sure that my doomsday device is up to code and properly
    grounded.