Re: [NTLK] WiFi printing from Newton without AppleTalk?

From: Ben Klang (ben_at_alkaloid.net)
Date: Tue May 13 2003 - 07:30:46 PDT

You don't even need to do that: Base stations are only required if you
want to operate in what is known as "infrastructure" mode.
Infrastructure mode has some neat benefits, namely the roaming and the
repeater functions. Roaming allows a node to move between Access Points
(Base Stations) while keeping all open connections alive. Repeating is
occurs where two nodes that wish to communicate can not "see" each other
directly, but both can "see the access point, so the AP relays all
traffic between hosts. Depending the model, it may also do traffic flow
control (for distant hosts) and/or offer DHCP.
There is another mode known as Ad-Hoc which allows regular nodes to
connect directly with each other. If one of the nodes offers DHCP,
great! You have a fully functional network. I used to use this mode
when I had Aviator Pro cards (802.11 FHSS for those of you that care;
this is before the a, b, and g standards were finalized on DSSS) because
access points were WAAAY to expensive for a high-school student :) Just
keep in mind that to function at all, nodes that wish to communicate
must be able to see each other directly!

Then of course there are software "Host AP" drivers which will take a
regular computer with a wireless card and make it behave like an Access
Point.

Hope this helps,

-BAK

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html