Re: [NTLK] writers and newtons

From: Mark Bock (markbvt_at_adelphia.net)
Date: Wed May 14 2003 - 11:19:08 PDT

>On Wednesday, May 14, 2003, at 05:04 AM, Jeff Abbott wrote:
>
>> But I have to ask: can you write as fast on your Newton as you can on
>> paper? In making copious notes for a new book, I started off using the
>> Newton but just found my Newton writing couldn't keep up with my
>> brain--I went back to using mostly paper for this. I got tired of
>> having to correct words so often

I gave up long ago on trying to enter notes by hand on my Newton (or
on my Handspring Visor before that). It's not that the Newton is too
slow -- the problem is that my handwriting is too atrocious for the
Newton to recognize if I write fast (the Handspring had the same
problem, even though I was using chicken-scratch-Graffiti). So I
actually use a keyboard with my Newton when I have to take notes on
it (works better for me anyway -- I type faster than I handwrite).

>I'd love to hear from any other writers on the list who care to share
>their positive or negative experiences using the Newton, or provide
>some tips for a newcomer.

I've got a story that seems perpetually stuck in the planning stages;
I've done most of the initial plotting and idea development on my
Newton (simply in Notes). So far it's working great; the only
annoyance is that I have to pay attention to how long the individual
Notes are because when syncing with my computer, Notes that are too
long get truncated. Using NewtonWorks would obviously solve this
problem, but then I can't use stylus input if an idea suddenly
strikes me somewhere that I can't conveniently pull out the keyboard.

Where the Newton really shines is in getting stuff accomplished in a
tight space one is stuck in (such as an airplane seat or movie seat
before the movie starts), as I'm sure you all agree. My old
Handspring Visor is a lot smaller, sure, but the tiny screen makes it
really difficult to do any kind of meaningful work on it, whereas the
Newton screen is just big enough to be very useful for writing.

--mark

--
. . . . .
mark bock