Re: [NTLK] [OT] tablet logo rip off

From: Jeremy Wood (woodjd_at_whitman.edu)
Date: Thu May 15 2003 - 23:59:37 PDT

Microsoft's amazing power of copying is so astoundingly pathetic, I just
don't understand it. Copying features and technologies is one thing. I
personally think that is often how real progress is made, as companies
feed off of eachother, eventually providing better user experience. At
least that's the ideal. Obviously, some of this stuff is one-sided, but
really...

I don't think there is anything wrong with Microsoft trying to make tablet
computers, or make a next generation operating system that has cool
features. Fine. Even if those products copy the capabilities of earlier
products. Great. I'd prefer to see Apple doing it, but they're not.

However, the part that I find so pathetic is MS's utter lack of creativity
in defining the look and feel of their product. Longhorn or that Tablet
logo are perfect examples. Sure, make a pen based computer with text
recognition. But give it the practically the same visual launguage as
another company's device? Or in the case of longhorn, sure make a graphics
engine with similar features to Quartz Extreme. But make it copy the look
of Aqua and color scheme of your competitor? While Apple can't really lay
claim to having invented rounded corners or the color blue, you'd think
that Microsoft could do something else, what with all the money they have.

Aren't they capable of creating their own visual identity, rather than
"embrance and extend" other companies product's appearance? It seems to me
that they are too cheap to hire some actual designers, and just copy other
companies product's appearances.

        Jeremy

AMP Energy Drink - The newton of all-nighter beverages...

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html