Re: [NTLK] [OT] tablet logo rip off

From: Brian Pearce (bpearce_at_cloud9.net)
Date: Fri May 16 2003 - 01:18:36 PDT

> They should have done extensive research to make sure that they weren't
> treading on someone's trademark. If they didn't, then I hope that
> Apple
> sues them for tremendous amounts of money.

Actually, I had thought of mentioning that this is often a part of the
process; but since this isn't really a logo for the product itself
(it's more the design for a slogan, from the look of it), a trademark
search probably wouldn't have been considered necessary. And this
constitutes such a different use (even in the similar venues of
handheld computing), I doubt there would be any grounds for legal
action, even if Apple thought it was worthwhile to go down that road.

> Similarly, I would have expected the Windows CE team to read the
> Newton UI
> guidelines, but they obviously didn't. That UI is about as
> un-Newton-like
> as you can get.

I think the idea there was to make the interface more consistent with
the familiar desktop that Windows users presumably know and love. We
all know what a bad idea that is in a handheld computer, and there's
plenty of stuff on the web about what a bad idea that is, so there's no
point in going on any further. (If nothing else, I suppose it shows
that Microsoft is capable of original thinking, flawed though it may
have been.)

BRIAN/bpearce_at_cloud9.net

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html