Re: [NTLK] Connection options

From: Peter Cameron (pdwc_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Fri May 16 2003 - 06:13:11 PDT

on 5/16/03 1:45 AM, Dylan Stewart at rxs015500_at_utdallas.edu wrote:
> First of all, some specs of my PowerBook:
> 5300c (yes, the flaming PowerBook)
    Only if you try to charge LiIon batteries for the 3400 in it.

> I just got my PowerBook 5300c working perfectly. However, it refuses to
> connect with my 2100.
    I use a 5300c (a little more RAM in mine, but I've used other PowerBooks
in the 5300 series with roughly the same specs as yours) and it gets along
fine with my Newton 2100.

> As far as I can tell, it isn't a hardware fault. However, I can't exactly
> test my 5300's serial port because I don't have anything else that uses a
> serial port at all. Perhaps the serial port is shot and I can't tell.
    How, exactly, are you trying to connect?
    Are you using a serial cable?
    If you're using a serial cable (use a Mac printer cable or the cable
that came with the Newton) you'll want to connect via serial not AppleTalk.
    Are you using phoneNet or LocalTalk cables?
    Then you can use AppleTalk.

Peter

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html