Re: [NTLK] Paperback book making...

From: Mark Bock (markbvt_at_adelphia.net)
Date: Fri May 16 2003 - 09:00:08 PDT

>> paperback all the time for traveling (airport) books, frequently books
>> downloaded from the net=2E The William Gibson Neuromancer trilogy is my f=
>
>Where did you get the Gibson books from? Doyou need a special reader to
>read them?

*Ahem* As we all know, downloading copyrighted works is wrong... but
Google turns up some convenient places to do so from. :) Try
searching for title.txt (replacing "title," obviously, with the
book's title). (For the more adventurous, there's a much better
selection of e-texts available on IRC.)

In most cases the files you can download are simple ASCII text files;
occasionally they're html or PDF. Using Paperback, you can turn a
text file into a book file readable on your Newton. The reader app is
built into the file (although in Paperback 2.0 you can turn off this
option for sleeker book files; you just need one book installed that
has the reader built in).

I find this extremely convenient for traveling. I carry my Newton
with me anyway; I can keep all my reading material on it so I don't
need to carry any actual books with me. Personally, I don't have any
crises of conscience over downloading the text of books I already own
(as far as I'm concerned that falls under "fair use"), but on the
occasions when I've downloaded the text of books that were new to me,
I've gone out later and bought the hard copy if I was interested
enough in it to actually read the whole thing.

--mark

--
. . . . .
mark bock