Re: [NTLK] Map Books

From: Michael J. Hußmann (michael_at_michael-hussmann.de)
Date: Sun May 18 2003 - 10:04:30 PDT

David M. Ensteness (denstene_at_mac.com) wrote:

> I don't think the publisher cares if it is for your personal use or not.

Maybe, but is it relevant? Not here in Germany at least -- the law grants
me the right to make copies for my own personal use, whatever the
publisher thinks about this.

> Scanning for any reason was listed

There's nothing in the text quoted (which wasn't about the maps in
question anyway) about "any reason". In fact, the text referred quite
explicitly not to personal use, but to distribution. You are reading
something into the text that just isn't there.

> the statement was an attempt to describe any means of digital
reproduction, even for only personal use.

I don't see how it could be interpreted that way.

- Michael

Michael J. Hussmann

E-mail: michael_at_michael-hussmann.de
WWW: http://michael-hussmann.de