Re: [NTLK] Printing from the Newton

From: Jeremy Bond Shepherd (jbond_at_jameswhale.com)
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 20:05:23 PDT

I currently use 2 different printers:

- HP 940c using the parallel port and a PowerPrint serial-to-parallel
cable (connected to a SER-001 on the Newt). This is great because the
printer has both USB and parallel -- the USB port goes to the Mac, and
the parallel port has the PowerPrint attached. The first interface to
receive a job after the power is cycled becomes active until the next
cycle.

- HP DeskJet 340 using the HP Infrared adapter and IrDA. Great for road
trips when I want to be able to print. Talk about wireless printing -
with the battery charged up I don't even have to wire in the AC!

In the past I have used:

- Apple Stylewriter II via serial
- Various HP Laserjets via Appletalk. Works great as long as (a) the
printer has PostScript installed, (b) the printer has Appletalk active,
and (c) the network admin has the network configured to pass Appletalk
packets.

At my last job I used the Laserjet down the hall until (c) was disabled
- after that no go.

Newton printing wish list: LPR support over TCP/IP would be soooo great
in this world of Appletalk being a deprecated protocol. My SMC
Barricade has the feature. Mac OSX can do it -- why not the Newton?

-Jeremy

-
Jeremy Bond SHEPHERD | Americans practice different faiths in
San Francisco, CA | churches, synagogues, mosques and temples.
jbond_at_jameswhale.com | And many good people practice no faith
Phone: 415-929-0297 | at all.
ICQ: 72267083 | -- George W. Bush, finally gets it right
AIM: jeremybondsf | in his Easter Address of 2002
PGP key available on public keyservers.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html