Re: [NTLK] membrane keyboards on the screen door

From: Jochen Schäfer (js.josch_at_gmx.de)
Date: Sat Nov 08 2003 - 09:56:14 PST

DJ Vollkasko wrote:
> >From: Victor Rehorst <victor_at_newtontalk.net>
> >Subject: Re: [NTLK] membrane keyboards on the screen door

> Hmh, the very implications of it! Imagine a snap-on keypad device that'd
> plug into serial plus a driver for it...
In theory, the keyboard adapter, we are building, could be modified to
fit this keyboard, without a driver. In fact it's designed to be adapted.

> ...then all we'd need would be some neat games ported over! *stoopidly
> grinning* After all, even MP 130 has more CPU-bang than a Gameboy!
I wish you luck with that vgb....

> Say, this makes me wonder...
> - is there any way to rotate the screen display not clockwise, as per
> Rotate, but rather *counterclockwise* (and maybe even automatically w/
> auto-rotate when keypad plugs in)?
AFAIK, that's not possible on a MP1X0, only with a MP2k.
I don't know how to interface the keyboard driver on Newton, that's
something Daniel Padilla should know.

> That would be neat, because then MP 130-folks could be right handed and
> still use the keypad happily, and MP 2xk people would have the whole keypad
> right in front
> of them.
>
> Oh boy. And now - say that weren't a keypad, but a complete keyboard with
> navigation toggle!? A thin membrane 'board glued/stapled/welded/screwed or
> whatevered to the inside of a lid... Or the outside, and to use it, you'd
> just attach the lid upside down to your Newton.
As with all keyboards it's a matter how to connect the keyboard to a
circuit. The software side usually shouldn't be that problem, as it only
will be a scan code translation problem.

Jochen

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html