[NTLK] Courier question - some links don't work. Why?

From: Blair Rosser (newton_at_7thfloormedia.com)
Date: Thu Nov 13 2003 - 09:06:52 PST

Just looking into a little awkwardness I'm experiencing with the Courier
.5 browser release, which is definitely one of the coolest developments
to show up for the Newt (thanks, Eckhart!).

Here's what I found: anchor tags that are sourced to a root directory
work while those that are relative to the current directory don't.

For example, browsing on Unna, a page that has a link like:

<A HREF="/unna/applications/">Parent Directory</A>

works, while:

<A HREF="Checklist.pkg">Checklist.pkg</A>

Does not. This makes it a little tricky to download packages from Unna.

However, the link into the subdirectory works without the slash

<A HREF="CheckList1.0/">CheckList1.0/</A>

But it has a trailing directory separator. However, linking into a
subdirectory on Google failed with this url:

Is this because of adherence to the HTML W3C spec.? Would setting base
or baseurl tags on the page help? Could it be because of other HTML tags
or characters in proximity to the link?

Anyway, these two sites are easy to find and test. I'd be curious to
know if others are experiencing the same problems - or perhaps it's an
oddity to my configuration.

Apologies if this is a known issue, but I haven't seen tell of it.

mtc,
blair

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html