Re: [NTLK] NewtChat works!

From: Eckhart Köppen (eck1001_at_gmx.net)
Date: Thu Nov 13 2003 - 23:26:49 PST

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 21:51:53 -0500, Donald wrote:
> With SSL we'd have what... Secure webpages (Login over the WiFi
> networks in TMobile locations... FREE!), SSH instead of just Telnet...

Unfortunately, SSH is quite different from SSL. But it might be easier
to do since we could live with SSH as an application level protocol,
meaning that it is available only in certain applications such as a
terminal emulator.

A useful SSL implementation has to be however on a lower level, and
that is much harder to sneak into the NewtonOS. It would have to be
similar to the NIE functionality to make it available to all internet
applications. Nitro and Blunt are examples of such system level
protocol additions. They were relatively easy to do because that part
is in the Newton ROM and can be reverse engineered. But NIE is a
standalone system of packages, much harder to analyze.

Eckhart

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html