Re: [NTLK] Fun things to do with a Newton 120 and Unix

From: RAParker (RAParker_at_Quadzilla.NET)
Date: Sun Nov 16 2003 - 15:41:00 PST

I figured out the problem with GoFetch Shell not logging out. It seems the
NetBSD expects "exit" for a logout command. A quick edit of the user's
".profile", adding "alias logout=exit" has fixed that problem.

Line breaks are a little annoying. I don' t
know if there is a way to fix that. That
may have something to do with how
GoFetch sends It data through Telnet
(one-line-at-a-time?) I can fool myself
into believing it looks good by setting t
he mai I font to System 9 pt. Bold (and/or making my own hard returns), but
I'm sure line breaks look funky (as is), within the list.

I noticed someone on this list had mentioned that GoFetch was somewhat
unstable when receiving. It's not unstable as far as locking or crashing
your Newton, but it does get lost every now and then . It also lacks good
error/retry handling for these situations. Playing with modem and/or
terminal settings can fix that. I've been receiving fairly consistently all
night, watching the list, and checking my mail every 10 minutes.

On the Unix side, I still need to get it to reset the TTY/mgetty if carrier
is lost due to error (as opposed to a "logout").

Ron

--
Sent using GoFetch for the Newton
--