[NTLK] PROJECT: Shell Access / Modem Connect Problems

From: RAParker (RAParker_at_Quadzilla.net)
Date: Mon Nov 17 2003 - 11:54:18 PST

I'll start some new threads for things ToDo or problems to solve for shell
access.

MODEM CONNECT PROBLEMS - providing reliable connections for ANY Newton
Modems that dial in and connects to the shell server. For two reasons: The
first is obvious...you want it to work. The second reason is because of
mgetty on the NetBSD box. Disconnects can leave the server in various
unpredictable states, users logged in, serial ports in use, dial-in lines
not answering, etc. Getting most modems to connect reliably, every time,
would solve 90% of the problems.

I've tried two different modems connected to my Newton 120 and I've
experienced varying (mostly disappointing) results. The PCMCIA Newton Fax
Modem Card with XJack by Megahertz is working VERY RELIABLY now. That's
because I've set the modem prefs to "PC Card" & "Hayes Basic".

The second modem I've tried is a Global Village Teleport X2/v.90 connected
to the Newton's serial port. I have used Modem Modifier 2.0 to (try to)
tweak the settings, to disable any compression and/or disable/enable error
correction as best as possible. But this modem has never gone beyond the
connect stage, even setting it to "Hayes Basic".

-->QUESTION: Am I expecting too much from the Newton to use any moderately
fast modem for data access?

I'm not greedy, 19.2 or 28.8 would be just fine! I would hate to think that
I would require all users to use ONE type of modem, and a 2400 baud one at
that! If this service becomes popular, those modems might be in short
supply :-)

Common to either modem (when the settings actually worked enough to dial
the phone) the problem appears to be the moment "Connect #####/xxxxxx"
occurs. It all looks good, but something happens and it disconnects. The
Newton reports "Bad Connection".

The modem on the Quadra 840av NetBSD server works great. I have a
USRobotics Sportster Voice 33.6 Faxmodem connected to the modem port. I've
also connected to the shell server successfully at 31200bps using
ClarisWorks Terminal app and the very same modem connected to my other
PowerMac 8600 (as well as various WinModems on PC's at my work)...no
problems.

Thanks for your comments,
Ron A. Parker

_____________________________________________________ RAParker