Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V3 #610

From: doppler (roman_at_pixell.net)
Date: Thu Nov 20 2003 - 18:42:50 PST

03-11-20 18.33, skrev newtontalk_at_newtontalk.netnewtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
följande:

> Subject: [NTLK] How to measure the connection velocity
> From: Luiz Petroni <lpetroni_at_compassoarte.com.br>
>
> Is there any pkg for the Newton that can check a GPRS connection
> velocity (kbps)?
>
> I'm doing experiments with the Newton + Globetrotter and would like to
> know how fast is my connection and also check other info like MB
> transfered and alike.

those tests for OS X + classic were already made year ago. i published an
article at http://macnytt.se/news/index.lasso?news_id=5626 , but since i
never had the tools for measuring transfer speeds on a newton, there is no
such test for the newt. the article is not so precise, but have still kept
my documentation, which its written in english, if someone is interested...
(up/dn speed, dropped packets etc)

overall, from what i remember, the globetrotter gives about the same speeds
on a newton as you would expect with a 56k modem. the OS (or rather NIE) is
setting the limit for the experience so to say...

also, in the final end - dont forget that it all depends on what your
carrier offers, that is not what they promise, but what they actually offer.
the globetrotter is a very competent piece of hardware but i doubt many
operators offer more than GPRS class 2+1 for dl and 1+1 for ul at all.

for blogging, e-mail, RSS and maybe some light surfing in courier, the
globetrotter is obviously the ultimate tool.

/ ®

                      roman pixell

_________karmatic_experience_group__

         mailto: roman_at_pixell.net