Re: [NTLK] eMate Screen Cable cloned

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Sun Nov 23 2003 - 13:31:56 PST

> The screen flex-cable in my eMate has been eaten by the clutch spring
> bug (the day after I bought it! :-( ), and I'm working on repairing
> it. The Newton himself is disassembled all over my kitchen table, and
> I'm planning on trying to repair the cable tonight at work, but I'm
> not counting on my ability to do the tricky work, which is where this
> message comes from...

As others on this list have pointed out, David Humphreys aka PCBMan is
working on a replacement cable, but to the best of my knowledge this
project is currently on hold.
If you feel insecure with fixing the cable, you might consider sending
it my way before you f*ck it up. I've been able to fix a couple of these
cables. As a matter of fact I have been able to fix all cables people
sent
except for one where the owner had tried to fix it himself ;-)

You can find detailed instructions for disassembling the eMate and
fixing
the cable here:

http://www.pda-soft.de/emate_disassemble.html
http://www.inventors-emporium.co.uk/pages/newton-emate-hinge.html