Re: [NTLK] Switches and Hubs [OT] was Classic Appletalk

From: NewtonGuy (newtonpad_at_alltel.net)
Date: Mon Nov 24 2003 - 17:54:49 PST

A hub broadcasts data packets on all ports simultaneously.

For example:

If you have a network with three computer. We will call them a, b, and
c.

you want to send information from computer a to computer c.

If you are using a hub the information will not only be sent to
computer c but also to computer b.
computer b will have to deal with the packets. As it does this it is
taking up network time.

A switch is a smart networking device. While not as smart as a router,
it is often more desirable to use a switch instead of a router.
a switch unlike a hub can tell which port you want to send info to.

As in the previous example. lets say that the computers a, b, and c are
connected to ports 1, 2, and 3 respectively.

If you wish to send information from computer a to computer c. The
switch knows that computer c is on port 3 and only sends information to
port 3.
While the computer on port 2 does not have to deal with packets.

If you had another port say port 4 with computer d connected to it. you
could send data from computer b to computer d at the same time computer
a is sending data to computer c.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html