Re: [NTLK] Option Globetrotter: Questions + Market prices (hint: X-Mas!)

From: Luiz Petroni (lpetroni_at_compassoarte.com.br)
Date: Fri Nov 28 2003 - 05:15:45 PST

> Expansys hat websites for <http://www.expansys.com>UK :
> <http://www.expansys.us>USA : <http://www.expansys.fr>France :
> Deutsch <http://www.expansys.it>Italia :
> <http://www.expansys.es>Espaņa :
> <http://www.expansys.nl>NL : <http://www.expansys.com.au>Aus, where
> every
> country gets called by it's name but Germany. Funny? You bet, but wait
> 'til
> you see what they consider a translation from an English website into
> any
> of the other languages. My, what fun! *wipes awa tear of laughter*
>
> But they do have prices, too, and these be no laughing stock:

Check the Grade 'B' Stock from the left menu in expansys.com site.
There you will find a lot of not new but in new condition products with
some good discounts too (as they say). I checked recently but there
were no GT cards but it worth check from time to time. Did not buy any
product from them yet.

> Q: Say, Expansys also harp that the ""Always On" feature of GPRS lends
> itself to real time remote connectivity and is ideal for the
> synchronisation of handheld and mobile devices with the office or home
> computer. GlobeTrotter is designed to support IPsec client software
> providing secure remote IP mobile access to corporate networks." - so
> exactly WHAT is this "Always on" feature? A novel scheme to bill the
> user 24/7?

GPRS is always on so that after you run the script to "attach" the GT
to GPRS network it stays connected until you power off the card or
disconnect from GPRS. Not useful for newton (I believe) once there is
no SMS/Phone Call application that supports the GT (as far as I know).

>> And, of course, eBay (do a search for GPRS PCMCIA on international
>> sites)...
>
> I didn't check that. Probably will be less pricey after X-Mas, too, so
> one
> might check this after the holidays. - What's the pricing there,
> usually?

US$100 ~ US160 (as my researches three months ago)

I got a new card for U$145 - the not so ugly magenta T-Mobile one ;)
It's SIM unlocked, full featured with software, headset and manual (in
German, so I downloaded one in english from option site).

> Another question about Option Products: About this Option Globetrotter
> WLAN/GSM/GPRS-combo... Mega-tasty item, anybody reckon the WLAN part
> will
> work on the Newton, too? Now THAT would be really brilliant!

As far as I know the Newton does not support combo cards. I don't know
if it is a hardware or software issue. I remember a post explaining why
this happens but I can not find it in the archives.

lpetroni

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html