Re: [NTLK] ATA and Nick's Testit

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Wed Oct 01 2003 - 06:37:20 PDT

Aux environs du 30/09/03 à 15:01 -0700, sous le titre "[NTLK] ATA
and Nick's Testit", Gregory J. Wayman prit sa plus belle plume pour
écrire les mots suivants:
>Could someone elaborate on the testing of ATA cards for speed. I don't
>really know what I am looking at or what is considered
>fast/slow. This is in regard to the Transcend 128MB Compact Flash card
>I recently purchased.
>If I am reading it correctly the data transfer test reports 100KB=12
>sec. Does that sound right? , and what is the verdict on this card?

This sounds fast, as far as the recent RCs builds are concerned.

There are two kind of tests.
- Nick's TestIt store speed test.
- ATA Support built-in tests.

You found Nick's TestIt test. Please disregard the transfer rate
(including for linear cards) as it's not exactly correct and with
NewtonOS database-oriented storage system, a transfer rate doesn't
really have a meaning anyway.

The ATA Support built-in test can be found under the Card Info slip
which you open from the [i] button of the card slip. Tap the Card
Icon in Extras, [i] button then Card Info. You have the test button.

ATA Support built-in tests can only happen without any store mounted.
Some tests are destructive.

HTH,

Paul

--
Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
NPDS/NewtonOS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/