Re: [NTLK] A Newton Replacement: facts

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Oct 05 2003 - 23:07:31 PDT

Granted. Most PDAs out there will perform the
functionality of running similar apps that the Newton
can. In fact, most Newton programmers have gone on to
writing the same apps that they wrote for the Newton
to run on other platforms.
But I have to say, I can't give you an answer. There
just isn't a single thing I can tell you that makes
the Newton a preferred choice. If I were forced at
gunpoint, I would have to say that it is the manner in
which the Newton interacts with the user (notice I
didn't say "the way a user interacts with the
Newton"?)
This is what is known as "Newton Intelligence". The
interpretive way that the Newton adapts, and can be
adapted, makes the Newton expand far beyond it's
original programming.
I guess the PDA can be analogous to shoes. (ok...stick
with me on this one)
There are many different styles of shoes for many
different uses. And most of us have more than one pair
in order to perform the various functions necessary to
those particular pair of shoes. Some shoes can perform
more than one function. Mostly they are primarily a
single function shoe, but when called for, they can be
used for a different function and they'll suffice. You
might have some pain later on, or even a blister to
remember the event by, but at least you survived.
Now, imagine a pair of shoes that not only can adapt
to the various events you may need to use them at, but
anticipates the next use and compensates for it. Now
imagine this same pair of shoes enhancing your normal
ability by giving you capabilities you never had
(anyone see Jackie Chan's Tuxedo?) You can dance
dances you never heard of before...you can run, and at
a moments notice break into some soft-shoe tap...or
grab the pedal better on a racing bicycle. And the
shoes will instantly adapt to whatever situation you
need. Sure, it may guess wrong, like that time the
shoe switched to basket ball shoes and you were
playing tennis...but it was excusable and a quick
tweak made sure that never happened again!
Well, those miracle shoes are the Newton. It's ability
to be all things to everybody is unique. The current
idea of PDAs are to be nothing more than a portable
window of your desktop machine...an adjunct, that only
relays information that your desktop machine has
already compiled. Very little information originates
from these new PDAs. Sure, you can tap out a memo or
eke out an email or even a small spreadsheet (hmmm,
that's 17 gallons and the odometer reads 256255 miles,
that means that I got 17MPG!) But mostly, all these
machines do, is parrot information already captured...
But not the Newt...sure it can be a window, but it's
more at home being it's own boss. I used to synch but
gave it up long time ago becuase I saw no need. Of
course, I use outlook, but I don't use it's calendar
function...I use my Newt. I take notes during meetings
and email them to my team the moment I connect up my
ethernet (for some reason, we aren't allowed WiFi at
work...)
So, no...I can't tell you ONE thing that makes the
Newton work for me...It's more a combination of
things...It's kinda like the difference between a
photograph and a movie. Have you ever looked at a
picture of someone and said, "gee, that doesn't look a
bit like him", but the video tape shot at the same
time looks exactly like your friend?
It's because of the way our mind works. We don't live
in absolutes. When we see someone, their face is
everchanging, so our memory creates an average of what
we perceive and stores that. So when we see a
photograph, which is a single image suspended in time,
we find that it is a poor representation of that
individual. Such is the Newton. Capturing a single
implentation will invariably give you a partial
picture.
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Robert Benschop <rbenschop_at_euronet.nl> wrote:
> Pascal Massün wrote:
> > Question is though, isn't this getting to a more
> emotional thing ?
>
> No
>
> > In order to counter that last statement/question,
> I'd like to ask the
> > following: in which way do the new PDA's of this
> world not compare
> > with our
> > Newton. IOW: what do you do with your Newton you
> can't do with other
> > PDA's ?
>
> Short answer: handwriting and OS
> Slightly longer answer: reread Ed's recent
> testimonial, it's all about
> a PDA that functions like we do.
>
> Robert Benschop
> --
> This is the NewtonTalk list -
> http://www.newtontalk.net/ for all inquiries
> List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms:
> http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html
> Official Newton FAQ:
> http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/

=====
"When any government, or church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, 'This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know', the end result is tyranny and oppression , no matter how holy the motives"
     -Robert Heinlein, Revolt in 2100