Re: [NTLK] Japanese Handwriting Input on US Newton

From: C.W. Otto Sohn (oky_at_avalon.net)
Date: Tue Oct 07 2003 - 17:56:08 PDT

At 9:30 AM -0700 10/5/03, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:

>From: "Theodore Vossen" <tvossen_at_gladstone.uoregon.edu>
>Subject: [NTLK] Japanese Handwriting Input on US Newton
>Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 22:25:00 -0700
>
>Is it possible to get Japanese Handwriting Input on a US Newton? I've been
>looking around at various sites that have information on varions Japanese
>IMEs for Newton, but I haven't seen one that does handwritten input.
>Thanks for any help you can give.
>Ted

Hi,

after a looong time of silence, a posting from me...

Ted,

I have a webpage of Japanese Newton links that I haven't updated
substantially in a few years. Many of the links don't work any longer, but
it is always worth a try...

<http://newted.dyndns.org/users/osohn/NEWTtools/Japanese.html>

Unfortunately the links from that page to T. Murai's website do not work;
he used to have tons of interesting links and software (including fonts).
Some of that should be available on UNNA, but if you can't find a specific
app, I might have it.

On the other hand, and I just checked, the link to Joe Ohkubo's Newton
Software DOES work:

<http://www.aichi-pu.ac.jp/ist/~ohkubo/newton/>

He has, among other input methods, the Japanese input system called IZUMI:

<http://www.aichi-pu.ac.jp/ist/~ohkubo/newton/izumi/index.en.html>

which has a brief description in English (and some dead links to T. Murai's
fonts).

This is FREEWARE. Again, if you encounter any dead links to a specific
piece of software, I probably have it somewhere on a Zip disk.

HTH

Otto

*****
Otto Sohn <http://newted.dyndns.org/users/osohn/>