Re: [NTLK] [OT] Hell has frozen over

From: Andy Mulhearn (unxmully_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Oct 17 2003 - 14:49:41 PDT

On Friday, Oct 17, 2003, at 14:16 Europe/London, Eric L. Strobel wrote:

> As for the price, I guess it's a matter of perspective. Since I find
> there's generally only 1/2 to 1/4 of the songs on any particular CD
> worth
> having (depending on the performer), I figure I'm paying $2-3/song
> when I
> buy a CD. To pay a buck a piece for just the ones I want is a definite
> bargain. Now, if some state Attorney General would show some
> testicular
> fortitude and go after the RIAA/music industry as the
> price-fixing/gouging
> monopoly that it is, perhaps the pricing structure would change. But
> that's
> a potentially long and bloody dispute for another time.

I'm pretty sure that battle isn't going to be fought out in the
courtrooms of the US, but in the boardrooms of companies like Sony.

On the one hand, they have a huge business selling content as a major
owner of record labels. On the other, a massive, and potentially much
bigger, business selling the devices people use to listen to content.

A tough call, well OK not really, but I hope the content restriction
people lose,

Andy

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html