Re: [NTLK] [ANN] ATA Support 1.0RC6

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Fri Oct 17 2003 - 15:30:22 PDT

Aux environs du 17/10/03 à 17:48 -0400, sous le titre "Re: [NTLK]
[ANN] ATA Support 1.0RC6", Caretech_at_rogers.com prit sa plus belle
plume pour écrire les mots suivants:
>First how secure is the data on this type of storage?

You mean, as in how safe is your data on ATA cards?
My new test suite is quite good. However, as you might know, one can
never be sure that some software is bug-free, especially as big and
complex as ATA Support can be. Linear storage is not very safe
because if you fill the card too much, the whole store could be
erased with no other warning than it was getting full. I know that
RC5 was less safe than linear cards, but I cannot tell for RC6. When
I say that RC5 was less safe than linear cards, I had only 3 reports
of data loss in 7 months.

>Security for me is
>everything and with this comes backup so if that means that you need
>FAT to provide convenience for backup then we should go for that.

The advantage of FAT support is that we could do a backup to a FAT
partition and then save this backup file to a CD or whatever from a
laptop. I'll surely use an open format (I have the ATA Support
internal formats ready for anyone who would like to see them, as well
as some SDK, I'm just too lazy to include them in the archive now but
they'll be in 1.0 archive).

>Then we the list could ask M. Paul Guyot to provide the other tools.

What do you mean? What kind of tools?

Paul

--
Changement de baignoire.