Re: [NTLK] [OT] Hell has frozen over

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Sat Oct 18 2003 - 10:21:48 PDT

on 18/10/03 08:08, Michael J. Hußmann at michael_at_michael-hussmann.de wrote:

>> How about Virtual PC running WinXP on OS9? It should work. I could try it by
>> re-booting into OS9, but I really don't have the need. Anyone else is
>> welcome.
>
> To me, the benefits of iTunes 4 compared to iTunes 2 under Mac OS 9 are
> minimal -- I have both installed on my machine, but as I work under Mac
> OS 9 about 90 percent of the time, iTunes 2 is what I use most. As long
> as I cannot use the Music Store in Europe anyway, iTunes 2 is all I need.
> (Contrary to others, I can see no technical reasons for not releasing a
> version of iTunes 4 for Mac OS 9. I can understand why Apple isn't doing
> this and I have no problems with this decision, but from a technical
> viewpoint, there's nothing preventing a Mac OS 9 version.)

Another factor is that iTunes 4 relies on QuickTime 6.3, if I remember
correctly, for the new AAC format. AFAIR, QuickTime 6.3 was not released for
OS 9. Sure, Apple could update QuickTime for Mac OS 9, but that's yet
another thing they would have to put resources and money in for a dead
market (OS 9)...

-Laurent.

copy protection n.: A class of methods for preventing incompetent pirates
from stealing software and legitimate customers from using it. Considered
silly.
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html