Re: [NTLK] TCP/IP on Newton?

From: Michael J. Hußmann (michael_at_michael-hussmann.de)
Date: Wed Oct 22 2003 - 22:50:12 PDT

Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com) wrote:

> > 802.11b -> Wi-Fi
> > IEEE1394 -> Firewire
> > SMB -> Samba
> > VelocityEngine -> AltaVec
> >
> > ZeroConf -> Rendezvous
> >
> > Same Tech, different names...
> >
> > ...Ross...
> >
> I think it's Altivec actually, but I was thinking the same thing,
> Apple likes to give boring named technologies "zeroconf" new more
> understandable names, even if they are french.

As far as I know, WiFi is a stricter standard than 802.11b, so it's not
really the same. FireWire was FireWire long before it became a standard
as IEEE1394, so the "boring" name came later. "SMB", as far as I know, is
just a shorthand for "Samba", so it's actually the same name.

- Michael

Michael J. Hussmann

E-mail: michael_at_michael-hussmann.de
WWW (personal): http://michael-hussmann.de