Re: [NTLK] OT - Off Topic - Need an eBay auction to bid on

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_euronet.nl)
Date: Sat Oct 25 2003 - 00:37:48 PDT

Grant Hutchinson wrote:
> And there are similar scams mimicking PayPal emails and web pages
> floating around.
> Beware of any email asking you to verify account information.

Yep, almost fooled me the other day. Early morning, doing the incoming
mail and such and PayPal asks me to update the info.
Go over there and start filling in the form while I finally wake up.
The page is marked with a secure icon on the page itself but no lock
icon on the browser, http instead of https and en IP address instead of
www.paypal.com
I got out of there as soon as I could and reported it immediately. At
PayPal the do work (as opposed to Ebay) for their money and got a
confirmation very soon after that it was a hoax...

Robert Benschop

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html