Re: [NTLK] Followup: Spoof ebay mail

From: alanshaw_at_comcast.net
Date: Sun Oct 26 2003 - 20:12:38 PST

Frank wrote:

>I'm still astonished how a url like blabla.ebay.com can be not an ebay url. I >have always been under the impression that what is before ".com" is a unique
>idendifier that can't be hijacked.

Frank, I thought this too. However a couple years ago I learned that isn't the case. Theforce.net pulled a wonderful April Fool's prank by creating a fake news story that George Lucas was going to do three *more* "Star Wars" movies. They even had a link to CNN that took you to a cnn.com address where a copy of the prank existed. At the very end of the story they gave away that it was a prank. I e-mailed Theforce.net's editors asking how they got CNN to cooperate. They e-mailed back that CNN didn't have anything to do with it and they just spoofed the address somehow.

Alan

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html