Re: [NTLK] GPS Question.

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.int)
Date: Mon Sep 01 2003 - 01:21:25 PDT

Sorry, I cannot tell you anything about Fieldworker.
But in fact you can connect any external GPS device that comes with a serial interface and is talking NMEA to your Newt.
The software I use is made for avionics and is called GPSMap.
That software also supports a special type of GPS cards that represent themselfes as a serial interface to the Newt.
One example for a card that is supported from GPSMap is the Centennial SatNav PCMCIA GPS card in the NMEA version (there is also a binary one).
But you need to think about what would be the better solution:
internal PCMCIA card with the need to have the Newton outside all the time so that the cards antenna can receive the satellite signals OR
an external device, connected to your Newt via serial link (you can place the external device (which may be environmentally rugged) at an optimal place and can have the Newt inside (a vehicle))
Something inbetween the two solutions are PCMCIA cards with external antennas.

If you intend to program something you can start from the NMEA protocol.
In fact you are free to do whatever you want with that data, refreshed every second from the GPS device. So I think there is nothing really fancy or difficult in doing that.

Cheers
Johannes

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html