Re: [NTLK] Courier Help!!!

From: Eckhart Köppen (eck1001_at_gmx.net)
Date: Mon Sep 01 2003 - 09:08:16 PDT

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 12:43:11 +0100, Thomas Hart wrote:
> When I open Courier and try to connect to the internet I get the
> slip telling me that the Newton is loading the DHCP protocol and after
> about thirty seconds the slip disappears and a second or two later all
> activity in the Farallon hub stops. No connection, no internet, no joy!

It seems that something goes wrong quite early in the connection
process. My guess is that either your cable modem uses something like
PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet) which is similar to regular PPP but quite
different from a regular LAN setup, or you have a static IP address and
there is no DHCP server involved.

Do you have another computer which works with the cable modem? It
should be possible to simply copy the settings from that computer to
the Newton's Internet Setup (if it is indeed the static IP vs. DHCP
issue). The settings you would need are the IP address, the DNS server,
the gateway address and probably the subnet mask.

Eckhart

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html