Re: [NTLK] Ne(w)tworking assistance - I have checked the FAQ!!!!

From: Andrei Chichak (acpmiedm_at_telusplanet.net)
Date: Tue Sep 02 2003 - 14:19:56 PDT

At 09:40 PM 9/2/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Guys n Gals,
>I have a cable modem. It is connected to my iMac directly. I also have a
>Newton that connects to the internet the same way, but not at the same time.
>
>What do I need to keep the iMac plugged into the internet all the time and
>occaisionaly plug in the Newton to share this connection without the hassle
>of unplugging/plugging in?

This kinda indicates that your cable company is allowing more than one MAC
address to be served via your modem so you could get away with a thing
called a hub. Plug the hub into the modem, plug your iMac and Newt into the
hub and Bob's your uncle.

On the other hand, if you were restricted to one MAC address (like on a lot
of DSL providers) you get a router which, through the magic of IP
masquerading, provides a DHCP service to your local network letting you put
up to about 16 million devices on your network, while looking like one
device to the internet. Plug the router into the modem, plug your iMac and
Newt into the router, set up a bunch of stuff on the router using a web
browser on your iMac and Abe through Zeb are your uncles.

Linksys makes both hubs and routers, both are easy to set up using the
included quick reference guides.

So there,
Andrei

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html